- PhD (Zoology/Marine Science). University of Otago, 2006
- MSc (Marine Ecology). Florida Institute of Technology, 1998
- BA (Biology). University of Nebraska – Lincoln, 1993
Role at Cawthron
Deanna is a Marine Ecologist, specialising in marine mammal ecology. Deanna has worked on a variety of projects including impact assessments and the design of several resource consent monitoring studies.
Technical skills, experience and interests
- Spatial and temporal distribution patterns of wildlife populations, especially marine mammals (GIS-based)
- Environmental influences on habitat preference and utilisation of populations
- Sustainable coastal development and marine mammals
- Society for Marine Mammalogy
- American Society of Mammalogists
- New Zealand Marine Sciences Society
- Berthelsen A, Gillespie PA, Clement D and Peacock L 2015. State of the environment monitoring of Wairau Estuary. Prepared for Marlborough District Council. 62 pages plus appendices.
- Forrest BM, Cornelisen CD, Clement D, Keeley N and Taylor DI 2015. Monitoring framework for the Waikato coastal marine area: Report 2–Regional aquaculture monitoring priorities and guidance. Prepared for Waikato Regional Council. 67 pages.
- Clark D, Barter PJ , Clement D, Tremblay LA and Forrest RW 2013. Whareroa marine outfall ecological investigation 2012. Cawthron Report 2348. 83 pages plus appendices.
- Gillespie PA, Clement D, Clark D and Asher R 2012. Nelson haven fine-scale benthic baseline 2012. Cawthron Report 2209. Prepared for Nelson City Council. 22 pages plus appendices.
- Rayment W and Clement D 2011. Distribution of Hector's dolphin (Cephalorhynchus hectori) off the West Coast, South Island, New Zealand, with implications for the management of bycatch. Marine Mammal Science 27(2): 398-420.
- Gillespie PA, Forrest RW, Peake BM, Basher LR, Clement D, Dunmore R and Hicks DM 2011. Spatial delineation of the depositional footprint of the Motueka River outwelling plume in Tasman Bay, New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research, 45:3, 455-475.
- Keeley N, Forrest BM, Hopkins GA, Gillespie PA, Knight BR, Webb SC, Clement D and Gardner J 2009. Review of the ecological effects of farming shellfish and other non-finfish species in New Zealand. Cawthron Report 1476. Prepared for New Zealand's Ministry of Fisheries.
- Gillespie PA, Clement D and Asher R 2009. Delaware inlet fine-scale benthic baseline 2009. Cawthron Report 1594. Prepared for Nelson City Council. 28 pages.
- Forrest BM, Keeley N, Hopkins GA, Webb SC and Clement D 2009. Synthesis of the ecological effects of intertidal oyster aquaculture. Aquaculture 298 1-15.
- Forrest BM, Keeley NB, Hopkins GA, Webb SC and Clement D 2009. Bivalve aquaculture in estuaries: review and synthesis of oyster cultivation effects. Aquaculture 298(1-2): 1-15.
- Clement D and Barter PJ 2008. Monaco Peninsula to Bells Island wastewater pipeline - assessment of environmental effects. Prepared for Nelson Regional Sewerage Business Unit. In prep.
- Conwell C and Clement D 2008. Assessment of the fish and marine mammals of Bream Bay.
- Clement D 2008. Assessment of potential effects on marine mammals of proposed capital dredging of approach channel to Lyttelton Port of Christchurch and offshore disposal of spoil. Prepared for Lyttelton Port Company. In prep.
- Dawson S, Slooten E, DuFresne S, Wade P and Clement D 2004. Small-boat surveys for coastal dolphins: line-transect surveys for Hector's dolphin (Cephalorhynchus hectorii). Fisheries Bulletin 102 (3): 441-451.
- Clement D, DuFresne S and Slooten E 2001. Potential effects of a proposed mussel farm on the whales and dolphins of the North Otago coastline. Report for Sanfords Ltd, Dunedin, 12 pages. (Unpublished).
- Clement D, Slooten E, Dawson SM and DuFresne S 2001. Line-transect survey of Hector's dolphin abundance between Farewell Spit and Motunau. Department of Conservation Wellington. 15 pages..
- Clement D, Jones G and Slooten E 1999. Report on the potential effects of mussel farming in Clifford Bay on the Hector's dolphin population in the area. Report for Clifford Bay Marine Farms Ltd, Dunedin, 12 pages. (Unpublished).