- PhD (Environmental Toxicology). Lincoln University, 2002
- Ngāti Kahungunu
- Ngāti Tūwharetoa
Role at Cawthron
Jamie is an ecotoxicologist at Cawthron and is also a Māori liaison. Jamie's role is to build internal capabilities to support sustainable Māori development and cultural aspirations through research. He also helps develop methodologies to characterise the biological effects and mechanisms of toxicity of contaminants and complex mixtures, both in the laboratory and in the field.
Technical skills, experience and interests
- Application of biomarker methods in native fish species for contaminants
- Embryotoxicity testing in fish embryos as an early life-stage exposure model
- The contribution of science to sustainable development
- Member of the Māori Advisory Committee to the Board of the Environmental Protection Agency
- Member of the Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry
- Member of the Royal Society of New Zealand
- Allen W, Ogilvie SC, Blackie H, Smith D, Sam S, Doherty J, McKenzie D, Ataria J, Shapiro L, MacKay J, Murphy E, Jacobson C and Eason CT 2014. Bridging disciplines, knowledge systems and cultures in pest management. Environmental Managament. Volume: 53, Issue 2. Pages 429-440. February 2014. DOI 10.1007/s00267-013-0180-z. Published online 13 October 2013.
- Ogilvie SC, Miller A and Ataria J 2014. There's a rumble in the jungle: 1080 – poisoning our forests or a necessary tool . Chapter in Kaitiaki: Maori and the environment (R Selby, P Moore and M Mulholland Eds), Huia Publishers, Auckland. In press.
- Ogilvie SC, Miller A, Ataria J, Waiwai J and Doherty J 2014. Uptake of 1080 (Sodium fluoroacetate) by watercress and puha – culturally-important food plants.
- Tremblay LA, Challenger I, Ataria J, Horswell J and Baker V 2013. Up-the-Pipe Solutions - a best practice protocol. Centre for Integrated Biowaste Research. Publication number 8.
- Langer ER, Goven J, Baker V, Ataria J and Leckie A 2013. Patterns and dilemmas in community engagement in decision-making on biosolids management in New Zealand. Journal of Environmental Management.
- Paterson G, Ataria J, Ehsanul Hoque M, Burns DC and Metcalfe CD 2011. The toxicity of titanium dioxide nanopowder to early life stages of the Japanese medaka (Oryzias latipes). Chemosphere. 82. 1002-1009.
- Allen W, Fenemor A, Kilvington M, Harmsworth G, Young RG, Deans N, Horn C, Phillips C, Montes de Oca O, Ataria J and Smith R 2011. Building collaboration and learning in integrated catchment management: the importance of social process and multiple engagement approaches. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research. 45(3): 525-539.
- Ogilvie SC, Ataria J, Waiwai J, Doherty J, Miller A, Ross J and Eason CT 2010. Vertebrate pesticide risk assessment by indigenous communities in New Zealand. Integrative Zoology. 1. 37-43.
- Allen W, Ataria J, Apgar JM, Harmsworth G and Tremblay LA 2009. Kia pono te mahi pūtaiao – Doing science in the right spirit. Journal of the Royal Society of New Zealand. 39: 239–242.
- Ogilvie SC, Ataria J and Waiwai J 2007. Accessing scientific information on 1080. Te Putara 10, 4.
- Ogilvie SC, Ataria J, Waiwai J, Doherty JE, Lambert M and King D 2006. Uptake and persistence of the vertebrate pesticide sodium monofluoroacetate (Compound 1080) in plants of cultural importance. Ecotoxicology 15 (1). 1-7.
- Ataria J, O'Halloran K and Gooneratne R 2006. Hepatic and immune biological effect assays in C57BL/6 mice to measure polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon bioavailability under laboratory exposures with increasing environmental relevance. ESPR - Environmental Science & Pollution Research. OnlineFirst <DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1065/espr2006.04.301> 1- 10.
- Lyver POB, Ataria J, Trought K and Fisher P 2005. Residues in long-fin eels, Anguilla dieffenbachii, following exposure to sodium monofluoroacetate (1080) in water and food. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 29. 1243-1252.