- Graduate Diploma in Chemistry. University of Waikato
- National Diploma in Science. Nelson Marlborough Institute of Technology, 2001
Role at Cawthron
Andy is section head for Cawthron Natural Compound services (CNC), a division of Cawthron that is world renowned for the production of natural compounds from algal culture.
Andy is an expert in marine and freshwater toxins, his work is published in scientific papers and through international conferences. Highlights from this work include the invention of novel detection methods and the discovery of several new compounds. Andy's skills in chemical analysis and purification of rare and novel natural compounds from complex food matrices are extensive.
- Experienced user of chromatographic instrumentation mass spectrometers
- Mico-scale chemical reaction
- Extraction, purification and structural elucidation of natural products
- Trouble shooting and maintenance of various instruments – including liquid chromatography–mass spectrometry (LC-MS) and high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC)
- Development and validation of analytical chemistry methods
- Training of technical staff, MSc and PhD students in natural products chemistry and use of instrumentation
- Selwood AI, Waugh C, Harwood DT, Rhodes L and Reeve J, Sim J, Munday R 2017. Acute toxicities of the saxitoxin congeners gonyautoxin 5, gonyautoxin 6, decarbamoyl gonyautoxin 2&3, decarbamoyl neosaxitoxin, C-1&2 and C-3&4 to mice by various routes of administration. Toxins. Volume 9, Issue 2. Page 73.
- Boundy M, Selwood AI, Harwood DT, McNabb PS and Turner AD 2015. Development of a sensitive liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry method for high throughput analysis of paralytic shellfish toxins using graphitised carbon solid phase extraction. Journal of Chromatography A. 1387: 1-12.
- Turner AD, McNabb PS, Harwood DT, Selwood AI and Boundy M 2015. Single laboratory validation of a multi-toxin UPLC-HILIC-MS/MS method for quantitation of paralytic shellfish toxins in bivalve shellfish.
- Hellyer SD, Selwood AI, van Ginkel, R, Munday R, Sheard P, Miles CO, Rhodes L and Kerr SD 2014. In vitro labelling of muscle type nicotinic receptors using a fluorophore-conjugated pinnatoxin F derivative. Toxicon. Volume 87 doi: 10.1016/j.toxicon.2014.05.013.
- Harwood DT, Selwood AI, van Ginkel, R, Waugh C, McNabb PS, Munday R, Hay B, Quilliam MA, Malhi N, Dowsett N and McLeod C 2014. Paralytic shellfish toxins, including deoxydecarbamoyl-STX, in wild-caught Tasmanian abalone (Haliotis rubra). Toxicon 90: 213-225.
- Kohli GS, Papiol GG, Rhodes L, Harwood DT, Selwood AI, Jerrett A, Murray SA and Neilan BA 2014. A feeding study to probe the uptake of Maitotoxin by snapper (Pagrus auratus). Harmful Algae. Volume 37, July 2014. Pages 125–132. doi:10.1016/j.hal.2014.05.018 .
- Selwood AI, Wilkins AL, Munday R, Gu H, Smith KF, Rhodes L and Rise F 2014. Pinnatoxin H: a new pinnatoxin analogue from a South China Sea Vulcanodinium rugosum isolate . Tetrahedron Letters 10/2014; 55(40):5508–5510.
- Selwood AI, Wilkins AL, Munday R, Shi F, Rhodes L and Holland PT 2013. Portimine: a bioactive metabolite from the benthic dinoflagellate Vulcanodinium rugosum. Tetrahedron Letters 54(35): Pages 4705-4707.
- Harwood DT, Boundy M, Selwood AI, van Ginkel, R, MacKenzie LA and McNabb P 2013. Refinement and implementation of the Lawrence method (AOAC 2005.06) in a commercial laboratory: Assay performance during an Alexandrium catenella bloom event. Harmful Algae 24: 20-31.
- Selwood AI, van Ginkel, R, Harwood DT, McNabb PS, Rhodes L and Holland PT 2012. A sensitive assay for palytoxins, ovatoxins and ostreocins using LC-MS/MS analysis of cleavage fragments from micro-scale oxidation. Toxicon 60(5): Pages 810-820 .
- Munday R, Selwood AI and others 2012. Acute toxicity of pinnatoxins E, F and G to mice. Toxicon 60(6): 995-999.
- McNabb P, Selwood AI and others 2012. Determination of Brevetoxins in Shellfish by LC/MS/MS: Single-laboratory validation. Journal of Aoac International 95(4): 1097-1105.
- MacKenzie LA, Selwood AI and others 2012. Isolation and characterization of an enzyme from the Greenshell™ mussel Perna canaliculus that hydrolyses pectenotoxins and esters of okadaic acid. Toxicon 60(3): 406-419.
- Zeng N, Gu H, Smith KF, Rhodes L, Selwood AI and Yang W 2012. The first report of Vulcanodinium rugosum (Dinophyceae) from the South China Sea with a focus on the life cycle. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research, 46:4, 511-521.
- Hauser TA, Hepler CA, Kombo DC, Grinevich VP, Kiser M, Hooker DN, Zhang J, Mountfort D, Selwood AI, Akireddy SR, Letchworth SR and Yohannes D 2012. Comparison of acetylcholine receptor interactions of the marine toxins, 13-desmethylspirolide C and gymnodimine. Neuropharmacology 62(7): 2239-2250.
- MacKenzie LA, Selwood AI, McNabb P and Rhodes L 2011. Benthic dinoflagellate toxins in two warm-temperate estruaries; Ranguanu and Parengarenga Harbours, Northland, New Zealand. Harmful Algae 10(6): 559-566.
- Hellyer SD, Selwood AI and others 2011. Marine algal pinnatoxins E and F cause neuromuscular block in an in vitro hemidiaphragm preparation. Toxicon 58(8): 693-699.
- Holland PT, Cargill A, Selwood AI, Arnold K, Krammer JL and Pearce KN 2011. Determination of soluble immunoglobulin G in bovine colostrum products by protein G affinity chromatography - Turbidity correction and method validation. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 59, 5248–5256.
- Rhodes L, Smith KF, Selwood AI, McNabb P, Molenaar S, Munday R, Wilkinson C and Hallegraeff G 2011. Production of pinnatoxins E, F and G by scrippsielloid dinoflagellates isolated from Franklin Harbour, South Australia. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 45(4): 703-709.
- MacKenzie LA, Selwood AI and Beuzenberg V 2010. Shellfish enzymes and polyethertoxin assimilation and metabolism. In: Harmful Algae 2008. Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Harmful Algal Blooms, Hong Kong, 3-7 November, 2008. Environmental Publication House Hong Kong. Pages 147-150.
- Rhodes L, Smith KF, Selwood AI, McNabb P, van Ginkel, R, Holland P and Munday R 2010. Production of the cyclic imine, pinnatoxin, by a peridinoid dinoflagellate isolated from Northland, New Zealand. Harmful Algae 9: 384-389.
- Bottein Dechraoui M-Y, Fuquay JM, Munday R, Selwood AI, van Ginkel, R, Miles CO, Loader JI, Wilkins AL and Ramsdell JS 2010. Bioassay methods for detection of N-palmitoylbrevetoxin-B2 (BTX-B4) . Toxicon 55(2-3): 497-506.
- Rhodes L, Smith KF, Munday R, Selwood AI, McNabb P, Holland PT and Bottein M 2010. Toxic dinoflagellates (Dinophyceae) from Rarotonga, Cook Islands. Toxicon 56(5): 751-758.
- Rhodes L, Smith KF, Selwood AI, McNabb P, van Ginkel, R, Holland PT and Munday R 2010. Production of pinnatoxins by a peridinoid dinoflagellate isolated from Northland, New Zealand. Harmful Algae 9(4): 384-389.
- McNabb P, Selwood AI, van Ginkel, R, Holland PT, MacKenzie LA, Rhodes L, Wood SA, Taylor DI, Cornelisen CD, Heasman KG , Munday R and King C 2010. Detection of Tetrodotoxin from the grey sided-gilled sea slug - Pleurobranchaea maculata, and associated dog neurotoxicosis on beaches adjacent to the Hauraki Gulf, Auckland, New Zealand. Toxicon 56, 466-473.
- Selwood AI, Miles CO, Wilkins AL, van Ginkel, R, Munday R, Rise F and McNabb P 2010. Isolation, structural determination, and acute toxicity of novel pinnatoxins E, F and G. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 58(10): 6532-6542.
- Selwood AI, van Ginkel, R, Wilkins AL, Munday R, Ramsdell JS, Jensen DJ, Cooney JM and Miles CO 2008. Semisynthesis of S-desoxybrevetoxin-B2 and brevetoxin-B2, and assessment of their acute toxicities. Chemical Research in Toxicology. 2008, 21, 944-950.
- Wood SA, Selwood AI and others 2007. First report of homoanatoxin-a and associated dog neurotoxicosis in New Zealand. Toxicon 50(2): 292-301.
- Selwood AI, Holland PT, Wood SA, Smith KF and McNabb P 2007. Production of anatoxin-a and a novel biosynthetic precursor by the cyanobacterium Aphanizomenon issatschenkoi. Environmental Science & Technology. 2007, 41, 506-510.
- Rhodes L, Selwood AI and others 2006. Trace metal effects on the production of biotoxins by microalgae. African Journal of Marine Science 28(2): 393-397.
- Holland PT, Selwood AI and others 2005. Isodomoic acid C, an unusual amnesic shellfish poisoning toxin from Pseudo-nitzschia australis. Chemical Research in Toxicology 18(5): 814-816.
- McNabb P, Selwood AI and others 2005. Multiresidue method for determination of algal toxins in shellfish: Single-laboratory validation and interlaboratory study. Journal of Aoac International 88(3): 761-772.
- McNabb P, Selwood AI and Holland PT 2005. A multiresidue LC-MS method for algal toxins in shellfish: Single-laboratory validation and interlaboratory study. J. Assoc. Offic. Anal. Chem. Int. 88: 761-772.
- MacKenzie LA, Beuzenberg V, Holland P, McNabb P and Selwood AI 2004. Solid phase adsorption toxin tracking (SPATT): A new monitoring tool that simulates the biotoxin contamination of filter feeding bivalves. Toxicon 44: 901-918.
- MacKenzie LA, Holland P, McNabb P, Beuzenberg V, Selwood AI and Suzuki T 2002. Complex toxin profiles in phytoplankton and Greenshell™ mussels (Perna canaliculus), revealed by LC-MS/MS analysis. Toxicon 40 (9): 1321-1330.